SharePoint - Update documents
Documents are generally linked from Text Web Parts or the Quick Links menu. It may be difficult to determine where a file is linked from within the site. It is possible to update a document so existing links will not be broken.
Update a document
- Note: In order for a document to preserve links, the new document should have exactly the same name as the document already in the SharePoint Document Library. Rename the document on the local computer before uploading to SharePoint.
- From the SharePoint site, hover over Tech Help (1) and click the link for SharePoint Site Assets (2).
- From the Document Library, click Upload (1) then Files (2).
Note: The file can also be dragged from the computer location into the browser window in order to upload the file instead of Step 2 and 3.
- Browse to the location of the file, click once to select the file (1), and click the Open button (2).
- A message will appear on the screen indicating the document was not uploaded. Click the Replace button to replace the original file. This will preserve any links on the site.
Note: The Keep both option will upload the new file with a different name. A new link can be generated for this file and used on the site. The original link will still point to the original file wherever it is used on the site.
- A message will appear indicating the file is available.