CVTC Form Software Guidelines
Need an electronic form for your department? There are two form solutions recommended by IT for use by CVTC departments. Adobe Sign and Cognito Forms. IT has developed some guidelines for which solution may work best for you. Please contact the CVTC IT department if you have any questions.
When to use Adobe Sign PDF forms
- When you need to send official PDFs or PDF forms that need signatures or approvals, then track them at different steps, and then archive them.
- When you need to verifiably deliver the right PDF documents to the right people, and ensure they complete them in the right order.
- When you need to allow recipients to complete, sign, and return PDF forms from anywhere.
- When PDF document signatures and approvals need to be tracked and create an audit trail.
When to use Cognito Forms
- When you need to collect data and review summary data.
- When you need to report on or export accumulated data from many form submissions.
- When you are designing for forms to be used on mobile devices.
- When you want to be able to display data on a web page, or share collected summary data with co-workers. (SharePoint or Cognito cloud submission documents and data folders)
- Both are device agnostic
- Both can have individual or group access and permission control
- Both save documents securely in the cloud
Advantages of using Adobe Sign
Adobe Sign is an e-signature solution to authenticate and formally sign agreements sent through the Sign Service
- Electronic solution for official documents or forms in which signatures are required.
- Adobe Sign enhances compliance with e-signature laws and standards for official documents.
- Can configure and track the process of requiring multiple signature requirements. Example: Ability to send the PDF to other approvers or return the PDF to the initiator and other appropriate participants. Similar to how documents get passed around in interoffice mail to gather signatures.
- Tool is best suited for getting PDFs signed, and/or getting a series of signatures or approvals.
- Has methods to authenticate via a signing service.
- Convenience of saved signature is able to be configured by signor.
- Acceptable replacement for ‘Faxable’ forms or paper forms.
- Can be filled out or signed outside of the CVTC organization.
- No special software or CVTC account needed to be able to sign documents or fill out forms.
Advantages of using Cognito forms
Cognito Forms is an online form building tool
- Collects form data and stores it in a spreadsheet-like format in CVTC Cognito Enterprise folders, or it can also send data to SharePoint lists in our Current SharePoint, or SharePoint online.
- Can export data to other applications like Excel.
- Forms can be saved as PDFs.
- Forms can have a signature field where a mouse or finger signature is recorded. (However. no out of the box authentication via a signing service is present like Adobe Sign does. But signatures can be legally binding if certain steps are taken https://www.cognitoforms.com/support/83/faq/are-electronic-signatures-legally-binding)
- In form calculations
- Email notification
- Attachment uploads
- Customizable submission confirmations that can include form data
- Redirects upon completion
- Integrates with Microsoft Power Automate and Zapier (Zapier is an online automation tool that connects your apps and services. You can connect two or more apps to automate repetitive tasks without coding or relying on developers to build the integration.)
- SSL Encryption - Cognito Forms uses SSL encryption and is always accessed over HTTPS 100% of the time for all users. SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the standard for ensuring data is encrypted when being sent to a web server from a browser.
- Data Encryption - Protect your form’s entry data with the click of a button. Read more about our Data Encryption feature.
- HIPAA-Compliant - Sign our HIPAA Business Associate Agreement to enable additional security measures, like automatic form encryption. Learn more.
- GDPR-Compliant - Sign our Data Protection Agreement and use Cognito Forms as part of your GDPR-compliant practices for collecting personal data from users in the EU.
- Privacy Shield Certified – Cognito Forms has an active Privacy Shield Framework certification so you can transfer data from the EU to the US under the latest data protection requirements.
- Hosting Environment - Cloud-based, secure hosting environment uses Microsoft Azure and is both BAA (HIPAA) and PCI (DSS) level 1 compliant.
- Helps prevent spam with Smart Captcha
- Google Analytics ready for tracking things like Demographics, On-site behaviors, devices used, referral sources, and user geography.
- HIPAA Compliant
- Lookup or Choice Fields
- Repeating sections
- Responsive for mobile devices
- Save and resume functionality
- Forms can be embedded within websites and linked within emails or texts.
- CSS can be applied to embedded forms