COVID-19 Preparation Checklist
The college is asking that staff with home computers refrain from requesting technology so we can preserve our limited available inventory for staff that do not. We need to ensure that we have enough equipment available to maintain daily operations. VPN access will be granted to staff and faculty if they do not already have it. VPN can be installed on personal computers to access N: and S: drive but we highly encourage users to utilize Microsoft OneDrive.
You can submit a request for laptop consideration by filling out the Technology Form. This will help us prepare accordingly should the need arise.
General Pre-Emergency Planning Tips
Incorporating the tips below in your regular instructional routine will make a transition to an emergency facilitation plan less stressful for both you and the students. Canvas will be the primary technology for facilitating instruction at a distance. All CVTC courses, regardless of delivery type, have a Canvas course shell automatically created. With that in mind, review the suggestions below.
- Review CPD’s Canvas Training Course and/or schedule a time for Canvas training with the CPD department. It is recommended that you complete all Canvas Intermediate training to prepare you for facilitating online instruction.
- Ensure that your contact information is readily available on your Canvas course home page and/or instructor profile, regardless of your course delivery type, so students can easily reach you.
- Complete a 20-minute Canvas Studio training with CPD to receive a webcam and headset.
- If your course content is not already stored on either Google Drive or OneDrive, it is recommended you transition to one of these platforms for off campus accessibility. CPD can assist you with this transition.
- Consider having students participate in an icebreaker using Canvas Studio and/or Flipgrid. This will help to create a sense of community and familiarize students with these tools.
- Set up an option for virtual student office hours. CPD has a 3-part video series on how to conduct virtual student office hours available here.
- Communicate regularly with your students regarding expectations, changes in schedules, and assignments using Canvas’s Announcement tool. You can follow this guide for sending an announcement to your students in Canvas.
Refer to CVTC’s Emergency Remote Teaching Guidelines for more information regarding tips and best practices in the event of an emergency.
In addition, all faculty are asked to be accommodating in their expectations regarding class attendance and required documentation during the spring semester. We now have a very small number of students who have been advised to self-quarantine because of their symptoms. If students contact you to explain their medical symptoms or ask you for guidance, please advise them to see their health care providers.