Submitting My FAFSA Application

What is FAFSA?

The FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form. Colleges use FAFSA data to determine federal aid eligibility and may also use it to award their own institutional and state aid. The FAFSA is always free to submit, so if you are being asked for payment, it is likely a scam. The FAFSA can be filed each year at

If I don’t submit my FAFSA, are there other funding sources I can utilize?

Yes! If you choose not to submit your FAFSA, you may still qualify for other funding. For additional resources, like scholarships, please visit our Pay for College page here.

How do I submit a FAFSA?

Regardless of whether you plan to use federal financial aid, we recommend all students complete the FAFSA. Numerous scholarships and third-party agencies require a FAFSA to be on file to receive funding. To submit your FAFSA (which should be done annually), go to

What if I need help filling out my FAFSA?

Student Central is more than happy to help any individual seeking assistance completing the FAFSA. No appointments are required to get assistance in the Student Central computer lab, and a staff member will be present at all times to provide guidance while completing the application. Please see Student Central’s Commons page for the regular business hours.

Can I still get financial aid if I’m already getting veteran’s benefits or other funding?

Yes! Federal financial aid and veteran’s funding are two separate pools of money, so you can receive funding from both resources. This is another great reason to file the FAFSA even if you’re already getting funding from another source.

Do I need my parent's information?

If you are considered an independent student for financial aid purposes, you do not need to include parental information when submitting the FAFSA. However, if you are a dependent student for financial aid purposes, you will need to include your parent’s information when submitting the FAFSA. There are numerous factors involved when determining whether you are an independent or a dependent (i.e., you would be an independent if you are 24 years or older, or if you are married, or if you have dependents you support at least half the time, or other options). To know your dependency status, please visit this page for more information.   

Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

Yes. You are required to apply each academic year for which you seek financial aid.

My parents are separated or divorced. Which parent should fill out the FAFSA?

For 2023/2024 applications, please follow these guidelines:

If your parents are separated or divorced, the custodial parent should fill out the FAFSA. The custodial parent is the parent you have lived with the most in the past 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, then the parent who provided you with the most financial support should fill out the FAFSA.

For 2024/2025 applications, please follow these guidelines:

The parent that provided the most support to you is the contributor to your FAFSA. Please see here for more information:

Does CVTC have an application deadline date?

CVTC does NOT have a deadline to file your FAFSA. Filing as early as possible increases your chances to recieve all the available aid types, if you qualify.

Do I need to be accepted before I can apply for financial aid?

No, you can apply for financial aid before you have been accepted. You can list multiple schools you are considering attending. To actually receive the funds, you must be admitted as a program-seeking student at the college where you enroll.

How many credits do i need to get financial aid?

While certain types of financial aid require you to be enrolled in a specific number of credits, we do not encourage you to take additional courses just to receive financial aid. Rather, we recommend you follow your program requirement sheet and meet with your academic advisor to know which courses to take. In general, loans and state grants require you to be enrolled in at least 6 financial aid-eligible credits, while the Pell Grant is prorated and will pay out according to the number of credits you’re taking.

Are there any resources I can use to prepare to pay for school?

Yes! CVTC uses a program called GradReady to help students get financially fit before, during, and after their educational journey. GradReady also has modules that can assist beyond the financial realm. You can find more information and create your account here.

Related Articles:

Financial Aid Home

KeywordsCVTC admissions admission fin aid financial fasfa fafsa fa FA submit submitting application help filling out student central asssitance guidance completing regulations   Doc ID80799
OwnerJessica C.GroupChippewa Valley Technical College
Created2018-03-12 14:03:03Updated2024-02-20 09:07:54
SitesChippewa Valley Technical College
Feedback  0   0